• 6 hours Oil Prices Rise After API Reports Major Crude Draw
  • 6 hours Citgo President And 5 VPs Arrested On Embezzlement Charges
  • 7 hours Gazprom Speaks Out Against OPEC Production Cut Extension
  • 7 hours Statoil Looks To Lighter Oil To Boost Profitability
  • 9 hours Oil Billionaire Becomes Wind Energy’s Top Influencer
  • 10 hours Transneft Warns Urals Oil Quality Reaching Critical Levels
  • 11 hours Whitefish Energy Suspends Work In Puerto Rico
  • 12 hours U.S. Authorities Arrest Two On Major Energy Corruption Scheme
  • 24 hours Thanksgiving Gas Prices At 3-Year High
  • 1 day Iraq’s Giant Majnoon Oilfield Attracts Attention Of Supermajors
  • 1 day South Iraq Oil Exports Close To Record High To Offset Kirkuk Drop
  • 1 day Iraqi Forces Find Mass Graves In Oil Wells Near Kirkuk
  • 1 day Chevron Joint Venture Signs $1.7B Oil, Gas Deal In Nigeria
  • 1 day Iraq Steps In To Offset Falling Venezuela Oil Production
  • 2 days ConocoPhillips Sets Price Ceiling For New Projects
  • 4 days Shell Oil Trading Head Steps Down After 29 Years
  • 4 days Higher Oil Prices Reduce North American Oil Bankruptcies
  • 4 days Statoil To Boost Exploration Drilling Offshore Norway In 2018
  • 4 days $1.6 Billion Canadian-US Hydropower Project Approved
  • 4 days Venezuela Officially In Default
  • 4 days Iran Prepares To Export LNG To Boost Trade Relations
  • 5 days Keystone Pipeline Leaks 5,000 Barrels Into Farmland
  • 5 days Saudi Oil Minister: Markets Will Not Rebalance By March
  • 5 days Obscure Dutch Firm Wins Venezuelan Oil Block As Debt Tensions Mount
  • 5 days Rosneft Announces Completion Of World’s Longest Well
  • 5 days Ecuador Won’t Ask Exemption From OPEC Oil Production Cuts
  • 5 days Norway’s $1 Trillion Wealth Fund Proposes To Ditch Oil Stocks
  • 5 days Ecuador Seeks To Clear Schlumberger Debt By End-November
  • 6 days Santos Admits It Rejected $7.2B Takeover Bid
  • 6 days U.S. Senate Panel Votes To Open Alaskan Refuge To Drilling
  • 6 days Africa’s Richest Woman Fired From Sonangol
  • 6 days Oil And Gas M&A Deal Appetite Highest Since 2013
  • 6 days Russian Hackers Target British Energy Industry
  • 6 days Venezuela Signs $3.15B Debt Restructuring Deal With Russia
  • 6 days DOJ: Protestors Interfering With Pipeline Construction Will Be Prosecuted
  • 6 days Lower Oil Prices Benefit European Refiners
  • 7 days World’s Biggest Private Equity Firm Raises $1 Billion To Invest In Oil
  • 7 days Oil Prices Tank After API Reports Strong Build In Crude Inventories
  • 7 days Iraq Oil Revenue Not Enough For Sustainable Development
  • 7 days Sudan In Talks With Foreign Oil Firms To Boost Crude Production

Russian Lukoil to Double Overseas Output with Iraq

Russian Lukoil to Double Overseas Output with Iraq

Russia’s Lukoil says it should reach production of 400,000 barrels per day at its West Qurna-2 field in Iraq by the fall—figures that will more than double Lukoil’s overseas output.

West Qurna-2 is set to go online in March and will initially produce 120,000 barrels a day, with a target of 400,000 barrels by the end of 2014.

Lukoil is Russia’s second-largest oil producer, West Qurna-2 is the world's second-largest undeveloped field with recoverable reserves estimated at around 14 billion barrels.

Related article: Is This Indicator A Warning on Energy's Most-Loved Firms?

Lukoil holds a 75% stake in the field, while state-owned North Oil Company holds the remaining 25%. Norway’s Statoil sold its 18.75% interest in the project to Lukoil recently.

The West Qurna-2 announcement follows an amended production pact signed with the Baghdad government in late 2012 that cut the field’s output target from 1.8 million to 1.2 million bpd while extending the plateau production period. The Iraqi government has decided to cut peak oil production in order to prop up oil prices and help its economy.

Start-up of West Qurna-2 will boost Iraq’s bid to increase output by 45% to 4.5 million bpd by the end of this year.

Baghdad’s ambitious target specifically excludes production from the Kurdistan region.

Related article: U.S. Mining Of This Metal Hits a 16-Year High

According to the Economist Intelligence Unit, Iraq is ramping up oil exports this year, with the draft budget anticipating exports of 3.4 million barrels per day—or a 30% increase over last year. This is despite the fact that the country is sliding into civil war and embroiled in political struggle with its semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, which is increasingly going it alone in terms of oil and gas exports.

The bullish prognosis is largely based on new sources of production coming online in the south of the country, and the easing of infrastructure bottlenecks.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com




Back to homepage


Leave a comment

Leave a comment




Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News