• 4 minutes 2nd Annual Great Oil Price Prediction Challenge of 2019
  • 7 minutes Nucelar Deal Is Dead? Iran Distances Itself Further From ND, Alarming Russia And France
  • 10 minutes Don Jr. Tweets name Ukraine Whistleblower, Eric Ciaramella. Worked for CIA during Obama Administration, Hold over to Trump National Security Counsel under Gen McCallister, more . . . .
  • 13 minutes Shale pioneer Chesepeak will file bankruptcy soon. FINALLY ! The consolidation begins
  • 25 mins EU has already lost the Trump vs. EU Trade War
  • 5 mins More dumbed down? re Hong Kong Act of Congress
  • 16 hours Impeachment S**te
  • 45 mins Pope Proposes New Sin: Thou Shalt Not Destroy The Harmony Of The Environment
  • 3 hours Article: Did Exxon only make $39 Million onshore U.S. last quarter ?
  • 23 hours 55.00 WTI
  • 7 hours Visualizing Pennsylvania Oil & Gas Production (Through September 2019)
  • 4 hours U.S. Shale To Break Records Despite Bearish Rhetoric
  • 1 day Water, Trump, and Israel’s National Security
  • 1 day Everything You Need To Know About Trump
  • 2 hours Last I Checked
  • 2 days IEA predicts oil demand will grow annually at 1 million barrels a day for the next 5 years
  • 2 days Pioneer's Sheffield in Doghouse. Oil upset his bragging about Shale hurt prices. Now on campaign to lower expectations, prop up price.
  • 36 mins Petroleum Industry Domain Names
  • 40 mins What are the odds of 4 U.S. politicians all having children working for Ukraine Gas Companies?

Breaking News:

China’s Hunger For Coal Is Growing

The Worst Is Over For Oil Markets

The Worst Is Over For Oil Markets

It has been a tough…

The Next Gold Rush Could Be About To Happen Here

The Next Gold Rush Could Be About To Happen Here

Gold miners are thriving as…

Brazil’s Petrobras Reassesses Oil Refinery Deal With China’s CNPC

PBR logo

Brazilian state-held oil firm Petrobras is re-evaluating a preliminary deal with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) to build an oil refinery in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian economic newspaper Valor Economico reported on Thursday, citing a source from Petrobras’ management.

Petrobras signed in October an agreement with CNPC’s subsidiary China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Company (CNODC) to carry out a feasibility study to assess the investment case for the COMPERJ refinery in Brazil. Once the study is completed, the companies plan to create a joint venture to complete the construction and operate the refinery. Petrobras will have an 80 percent stake in the joint venture, and CNPC will own the remaining 20 percent.

However, according to Valor Economico’s source, the oil refinery partnership—which was struck during the previous top management of Petrobras—clashes with the ideas of new chief executive Roberto Castello Branco, who is pushing for divestments at Petrobras, including in the oil refinery business.

China, via CNPC and its various subsidiaries, has been forming partnerships around the world lately and has been investing in the oil industries of countries like Venezuela and South Sudan. China has also extended loans to Venezuela and South Sudan, in exchange for future repayment in crude oil.

Meanwhile, CNPC’s listed arm PetroChina said on Thursday that it would be pursuing deeper cooperation with the U.S. energy sector, hoping that it could help the world’s two biggest economies to resolve their trade dispute.

“Through this cooperation we can improve [the countries’] trade structure, which is conducive for the diversification of our energy import sources,” PetroChina’s president Hou Qijun said at the firm’s 2018 results release, as carried by South China Morning Post.  

The progress in the U.S.-China trade talks has made PetroChina more confident in seeking to expand its energy cooperation with the United States, which has the capability to become a top natural gas exporter at a time when China’s natural gas needs and imports are growing fast, according to PetroChina’s president.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads from Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play