• 2 minutes Oil Price Could Fall To $30 If Global Deal Not Extended
  • 5 minutes Middle East on brink: Oil tankers attacked off Oman
  • 8 minutes CNN:America's oil boom will break more records this year. OPEC is stuck in retreat
  • 2 hours Emissions Need To Be Halved To Avoid 3C Warming
  • 5 hours The Pope: "Climate change ... doomsday predictions can no longer be met with irony or disdain."
  • 41 mins Pioneer CEO Said U.S. Oil Production would be up to 15 mm bbls/day NOW if we had the pipelines. Permian pipelines STARTING Q3
  • 14 hours Hormuz and surrounding waters: Energy Threats to the World: Oil, LNG, shipping markets digest new risks after Strait of Hormuz attack
  • 15 hours OPEC, GEO-POLITICS & OIL SUPPLY & PRICES
  • 5 hours Coal Boom in Asia is Real and a Long Trend
  • 3 hours Solar Panels at 26 cents per watt
  • 8 hours The Magic and Wonders of US Shale Supply: Keeping energy price shock minimised: US oil supply keeping lid on prices despite global risks: IEA chief
  • 8 hours Magic of Shale: EXPORTS!! Crude Exporters Navigate Gulf Coast Terminal Constraints
  • 8 hours US to become net oil exporter in November: EIA
  • 5 hours US Shale Drilling lacks regulatory body.
  • 13 hours Trudeau approves Trans Mountain Pipeline
  • 16 hours The Latest: Iranian FM Says US Cannot Expect To ‘Stay Safe’
  • 15 hours The Plastics Problem
Alt Text

This Supermajor Is Leading The Energy Sector

This supermajor has been standing…

Alt Text

What The Market Is Overlooking In The Occidental Deal

Occidental Petroleum has caught a…

Charles Kennedy

Charles Kennedy

Charles is a writer for Oilprice.com

More Info

Trending Discussions

Total Recharges in South Africa with Solar Bid

France’s Total SA will dig further into South Africa with the awarding of a $200 million solar power plant project to SunPower, in which the French oil giant owns a 65% stake.  

The deal is expected to close mid-next year, with California-based photovoltaic manufacturer SunPower eyeing the start of construction for the South African plant during the second half of 2014, with completion slated for mid-2015.

The project is part of the South African government’s Independent Power Producers Procurement Program, and Prieska, in the Northern Cape province, will be the host of the massive solar farm.

Related article: What The Shale Guru Told Me About Oil Prices

The solar power plant is expected to generate around 210 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of power annually—or enough electricity to meet the demand of around 45,000 residents.

"…The South African project again illustrates the beneficial effect of Total’s leverage on the international development of SunPower," Tom Werner, Chief Executive General SunPower, said in a statement.  “SunPower's experience in the construction of solar power plants around the world, combined with the historical presence of Total South Africa will have a positive impact on the region, in particular for local employment."

Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd., which currently supplies 95% of South Africa’s power, has agreed to buy the electricity generated by the project.

The state electric company uses coal to generate 85% of its power.

Related article: Deliver or Die: Financial Survival Challenges for Today’s Junior Oil Companies

The project is secured under a co-development agreement with South African Mulilo Renewable Energy. Total will own 27% of the project, along with five partners: Calulo Renewable Energy with 25%, Mulilo Renewable Energy with 18%, the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) with 15%, Futuregrowth Asset Management (Pty) Ltd with 10%, and a Local Community Trust with 5%.

The project will be financed 80% through non-recourse project debt from South African banks. The remaining 20% will be provided by Total Calulo Renewable Energy, Mulilo Renewable Energy, IDC, Futuregrowth Asset Management (Pty) Ltd and the local community based on their level of participation.

By. Charles Kennedy of Oilprice.com




Download The Free Oilprice App Today

Back to homepage

Trending Discussions


Leave a comment

Leave a comment





Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News