• 4 minutes Ten Years of Plunging Solar Prices
  • 7 minutes Hydrogen Capable Natural Gas Turbines
  • 10 minutes World looks on in horror as Trump flails over pandemic despite claims US leads way
  • 13 minutes Large gas belt discovered in China
  • 4 hours Rioting and Protesting
  • 3 hours Trump waves a Bible
  • 2 hours George Floyd’s History
  • 15 mins US and Australia Sign SPR Lease Agreement
  • 5 hours Healing, Not Hatred
  • 8 hours Coronavirus hype biggest political hoax in history
  • 22 hours Anti-Lynching Bill
  • 1 day Thugs in Trumpistan
  • 5 hours Let’s Try This....
  • 1 day Model 3 cheaper to buy than BMW 3 series.
  • 27 mins China’s Oil Thirst Draws an Armada of Tankers
  • 12 hours China to Impose Dictatorship on Hong Kong
  • 1 day Sudan Rice claims Russians are behind recent US riots
  • 2 hours Trumps Oil Industry....
  • 7 hours Chicago Threatens To Condemn - Possibly Demolish - Churches Defying Lockdown
Joao Peixe

Joao Peixe

Joao is a writer for Oilprice.com

More Info

Premium Content

Ex-BP Engineer on Trial for Gulf of Mexico Spill

The trial of a former BP Plc engineer for criminal charges related to the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill off the coast of Louisiana began on Monday, 2 December, and will be the first trial in the case to go before a jury.
 
Former BP engineer Kurt Mix was arrested and charged with two counts of obstruction of justice in April 2012 for deleting text messages and voice mails allegedly related to BP’s attempt to run damage control at the time of the spill.

Mix has pleaded not guilty on all counts and jury selection for the trial began on Monday in the federal court in New Orleans.

Related article: Higher U.S. Oil Drilling Has An Unexpected Effect

The spill from the Deep Horizon rig at BP deep-water Macondo well began on 20 April 2010, killing 11 people and spewing oil into the Gulf of Mexico for 90 days in what was the biggest oil spill in US history.

Mix’s defense rests on his assertion that he had nothing to do with the Deep Water Horizon rig, while prosecutors allege that he willfully destroyed material evidence during the investigation. Mix denies intentionally destroying text messages and voice mails related to the incident.

In the opening statement on Monday, according to Forbes, prosecutors said that the deletion of a series of messages related by Mix represented the obstruction of justice related to the flow of oil from Macondo during the spill.  

While Mix was the first person indicted in the case, two other BP figures—both Macondo well-site managers, Robert Kaluza and Donald Vidrine, were also charged in November 2012 with involuntary manslaughter related to the 11 deaths. Also in November last year, David Rainey, former BP vice president of exploration for the Gulf of Mexico, was charged with providing false statements related to the size of the spill.

Related article: No Need for More Iranian Oil, U.S. Says

All three have pleaded not guilty. Rainey will go on trial in March 2014, while the trials against Kaluza and Vidrine will begin in June.

Last year, BP agreed pay $4 billion to resolve the federal criminal probe.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com


Download The Free Oilprice App Today

Back to homepage





Leave a comment

Leave a comment




Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News