• 4 minutes Is The Three Gorges Dam on the Brink of Collapse?
  • 8 minutes The Coal Industry May Never Recover From The Pandemic
  • 11 minutes China Raids Bank and Investor Accounts
  • 9 hours Biden admits he has been tested for Cognitive Decline several times. Didn't show any proof of test results.
  • 2 hours Putin Forever: Russians Given Money As Vote That Could Extend Putin's Rule Draws To A Close
  • 1 hour During March, April, May the states with the highest infections/deaths were NY, NJ, Ma. . . . . Today (June) the three have the best numbers. How ? Herd immunity ?
  • 12 hours Apology Accepted!
  • 4 hours Tesla Model 3 police cars pay for themselves faster than expected, says police chief
  • 15 hours U.S. natural gas at major disadvantage in Europe and China.
  • 16 hours Biden came out of his basement today (Thursday) and said , "we have 120 Million deaths from Covid 19.
  • 3 hours Why Oil could hit $100
  • 3 hours The Political Genius of Donald Trump
  • 16 hours Putin Paid Militants to Kill US Troops
  • 21 hours CoVid in Spain, 9 months before China
  • 20 hours Per most popular Indian websites it was Indian troops not Chinese troops breach of LAC that caused the clashes. If you know any Indian media that claim to the contrary please provide the link
  • 21 hours The world is headed for big problems - interview with very smart economist

Breaking News:

OPEC Production Falls To Three Decade Low

U.S. Shale Struggles For Survival

U.S. Shale Struggles For Survival

U.S. shale drilling activity has…

COVID-19 Could Crush Argentina’s Shale Boom

COVID-19 Could Crush Argentina’s Shale Boom

Argentina’s shale oil drillers are…

Lithium Prices Are Set To Rally

Lithium Prices Are Set To Rally

The European Union’s green recovery…

Tsvetana Paraskova

Tsvetana Paraskova

Tsvetana is a writer for Oilprice.com with over a decade of experience writing for news outlets such as iNVEZZ and SeeNews. 

More Info

Premium Content

China’s CNPC Boosts Global Oil, Gas Ties

China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) is advancing a strategic partnership with Brazil’s Petrobras and agreed to cooperate with Norway’s Equinor in oil and gas projects, in a push to boost its global footprint and Chinese gas production.

In two separate agreements announced on Tuesday, CNPC will work with Petrobras to take a minority stake in a future refinery in Brazil and a minority stake in several Brazilian oil fields, and will cooperate with Norway’s Equinor in unconventional gas in China and conventional oil and gas projects outside China.  

Petrobras said on Tuesday that it signed an agreement with CNPC’s subsidiary China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Company (CNODC) to carry out a feasibility study to assess the investment case for the COMPERJ refinery in Brazil. Once the study is completed, the companies plan to create a joint venture to complete the construction and operate the refinery. Petrobras will have 80 percent in the joint venture and CNPC will own the remaining 20 percent.

The agreement between Petrobras and CNPC also includes the Chinese firm taking a 20-percent stake in the Marlim cluster of fields, while Petrobras will hold 80 percent in those fields and keep the operatorship.

At the same time in China, CNPC and Equinor agreed to jointly explore unconventional gas opportunities in China and conventional oil and gas production internationally, Al Cook, Equinor’s executive vice president of strategy, said at a Norway-China energy seminar.

“Companies like CNPC have a tremendous opportunity linking global gas supply with domestic gas demand,” Reuters quoted Cook as saying.

The deputy director of CNPC’s Foreign Cooperation Administration Department, Zhang Xiangning, said that Equinor could use its tight gas technology in China’s oil and gas fields, such as the country’s huge gas field Changqing, which accounts for almost a quarter of Chinese domestic gas production.

The Equinor-CNPC agreement was signed during a visit of King Harald V of Norway to China.  

In December 2016, Norway and China fully restored political and diplomatic relations, which were frozen in 2010 when Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:


Download The Free Oilprice App Today

Back to homepage





Leave a comment

Leave a comment




Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News