• 1 hour OPEC, Russia Said To Announce Oil Pact Extension On Nov 30
  • 4 hours Wintershall And LetterOne In Talks For $12B Oil, Gas Merger
  • 6 hours India Exempts State Oil Firms Mergers From Competition Approval
  • 8 hours Turkey Targets $5B Investment In Wind Energy By End-2017
  • 10 hours Weatherford Looks To Sell Assets To Ease Some Of $8B Debt
  • 11 hours OPEC Set To Move Fast On Cut Extension Decision
  • 14 hours Nigeria Makes First Step Away From Oil
  • 1 day Russia Approves Profit-Based Oil Tax For 2019
  • 1 day French Strike Disrupts Exxon And Total’s Oil Product Shipments
  • 1 day Kurdistan’s Oil Exports Still Below Pre-Conflict Levels
  • 1 day Oil Production Cuts Taking A Toll On Russia’s Economy
  • 1 day Aramco In Talks With Chinese Petrochemical Producers
  • 2 days Federal Judge Grants Go-Ahead On Keystone XL Lawsuit
  • 2 days Maduro Names Chavez’ Cousin As Citgo Boss
  • 2 days Bidding Action Heats Up In UK’s Continental Shelf
  • 2 days Keystone Pipeline Restart Still Unknown
  • 2 days UK Offers North Sea Oil Producers Tax Relief To Boost Investment
  • 2 days Iraq Wants To Build Gas Pipeline To Kuwait In Blow To Shell
  • 2 days Trader Trafigura Raises Share Of Oil Purchases From State Firms
  • 2 days German Energy Group Uniper Rejects $9B Finnish Takeover Bid
  • 3 days Total Could Lose Big If It Pulls Out Of South Pars Deal
  • 3 days Dakota Watchdog Warns It Could Revoke Keystone XL Approval
  • 3 days Oil Prices Rise After API Reports Major Crude Draw
  • 3 days Citgo President And 5 VPs Arrested On Embezzlement Charges
  • 3 days Gazprom Speaks Out Against OPEC Production Cut Extension
  • 3 days Statoil Looks To Lighter Oil To Boost Profitability
  • 3 days Oil Billionaire Becomes Wind Energy’s Top Influencer
  • 3 days Transneft Warns Urals Oil Quality Reaching Critical Levels
  • 4 days Whitefish Energy Suspends Work In Puerto Rico
  • 4 days U.S. Authorities Arrest Two On Major Energy Corruption Scheme
  • 4 days Thanksgiving Gas Prices At 3-Year High
  • 4 days Iraq’s Giant Majnoon Oilfield Attracts Attention Of Supermajors
  • 4 days South Iraq Oil Exports Close To Record High To Offset Kirkuk Drop
  • 4 days Iraqi Forces Find Mass Graves In Oil Wells Near Kirkuk
  • 4 days Chevron Joint Venture Signs $1.7B Oil, Gas Deal In Nigeria
  • 5 days Iraq Steps In To Offset Falling Venezuela Oil Production
  • 5 days ConocoPhillips Sets Price Ceiling For New Projects
  • 7 days Shell Oil Trading Head Steps Down After 29 Years
  • 7 days Higher Oil Prices Reduce North American Oil Bankruptcies
  • 7 days Statoil To Boost Exploration Drilling Offshore Norway In 2018
Fuel Crisis Hits Kazakhstan Hard

Fuel Crisis Hits Kazakhstan Hard

Amid an ongoing fuel crisis,…

Oil Major: 70% Of Crude Can Be Left In The Ground

Oil Major: 70% Of Crude Can Be Left In The Ground

Oil major Statoil has surprised…

Shell Starts Production from Offshore Platform in Gulf of Mexico

Shell Starts Production from Offshore Platform in Gulf of Mexico

Royal Dutch Shell announced on Feb. 4 that it started oil production from its “Olympus” platform in the Gulf of Mexico. The company is using the Olympus to drill into its “Mars B” field, located at a depth of 3,000 feet. The Mars field averaged 60,000 barrels of oil per day (bpd) in 2013, but Shell thinks the Olympus can eventually get that rate up to 100,000 bpd. Shell is the operator with a 71.5% stake in the Mars field, and BP controls the remaining 28.5%.

Shell began production of the Mars field in 1996 after originally discovering it in 1989. Shell says Mars has been one of its most important fields over the past decade and a half. It has produced over 770 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe) to date, after the original estimate pegged the entire field at only 700 million boe. With the new platform in place, Shell thinks it can increase production to 1.1 billion boe. Although Shell did not include precise timelines, it says that the Mars field could last until “at least 2050.”

Related article: Shell to Sell Brazilian Oil Field to Qatar for $1bn

The milestone is an important one for a company still smarting from a poor earnings report that showed declining profitability and lower production. As Shell regroups, unloads some risky assets, and refocuses on what it considers to be a safer part of its portfolio – the Gulf of Mexico – the announcement of the Olympus platform is no doubt good news for Shell. Moreover, after delays and setbacks in projects in Nigeria and the Arctic, the fact that the Olympus platform came online six months ahead of schedule is a welcome departure from the recent past.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News