• 7 hours Oil Prices Rise After API Reports Major Crude Draw
  • 8 hours Citgo President And 5 VPs Arrested On Embezzlement Charges
  • 8 hours Gazprom Speaks Out Against OPEC Production Cut Extension
  • 9 hours Statoil Looks To Lighter Oil To Boost Profitability
  • 10 hours Oil Billionaire Becomes Wind Energy’s Top Influencer
  • 11 hours Transneft Warns Urals Oil Quality Reaching Critical Levels
  • 12 hours Whitefish Energy Suspends Work In Puerto Rico
  • 13 hours U.S. Authorities Arrest Two On Major Energy Corruption Scheme
  • 1 day Thanksgiving Gas Prices At 3-Year High
  • 1 day Iraq’s Giant Majnoon Oilfield Attracts Attention Of Supermajors
  • 1 day South Iraq Oil Exports Close To Record High To Offset Kirkuk Drop
  • 1 day Iraqi Forces Find Mass Graves In Oil Wells Near Kirkuk
  • 1 day Chevron Joint Venture Signs $1.7B Oil, Gas Deal In Nigeria
  • 2 days Iraq Steps In To Offset Falling Venezuela Oil Production
  • 2 days ConocoPhillips Sets Price Ceiling For New Projects
  • 4 days Shell Oil Trading Head Steps Down After 29 Years
  • 4 days Higher Oil Prices Reduce North American Oil Bankruptcies
  • 4 days Statoil To Boost Exploration Drilling Offshore Norway In 2018
  • 4 days $1.6 Billion Canadian-US Hydropower Project Approved
  • 4 days Venezuela Officially In Default
  • 5 days Iran Prepares To Export LNG To Boost Trade Relations
  • 5 days Keystone Pipeline Leaks 5,000 Barrels Into Farmland
  • 5 days Saudi Oil Minister: Markets Will Not Rebalance By March
  • 5 days Obscure Dutch Firm Wins Venezuelan Oil Block As Debt Tensions Mount
  • 5 days Rosneft Announces Completion Of World’s Longest Well
  • 5 days Ecuador Won’t Ask Exemption From OPEC Oil Production Cuts
  • 5 days Norway’s $1 Trillion Wealth Fund Proposes To Ditch Oil Stocks
  • 6 days Ecuador Seeks To Clear Schlumberger Debt By End-November
  • 6 days Santos Admits It Rejected $7.2B Takeover Bid
  • 6 days U.S. Senate Panel Votes To Open Alaskan Refuge To Drilling
  • 6 days Africa’s Richest Woman Fired From Sonangol
  • 6 days Oil And Gas M&A Deal Appetite Highest Since 2013
  • 6 days Russian Hackers Target British Energy Industry
  • 6 days Venezuela Signs $3.15B Debt Restructuring Deal With Russia
  • 6 days DOJ: Protestors Interfering With Pipeline Construction Will Be Prosecuted
  • 7 days Lower Oil Prices Benefit European Refiners
  • 7 days World’s Biggest Private Equity Firm Raises $1 Billion To Invest In Oil
  • 7 days Oil Prices Tank After API Reports Strong Build In Crude Inventories
  • 7 days Iraq Oil Revenue Not Enough For Sustainable Development
  • 7 days Sudan In Talks With Foreign Oil Firms To Boost Crude Production
Oil Survives Bearish Backlash

Oil Survives Bearish Backlash

Crude benchmarks posted steep losses…

Poland's Shale Gas Revolution off to a Rather Unimpressive Start

Poland's Shale Gas Revolution off to a Rather Unimpressive Start

Poland’s high hopes that shale gas will free it from the oppressive influence of Gazprom, and the polluting energy source of coal, seems to have suffered a bit of a set-back.

Coal currently accounts for 90% of Poland’s electricity generating capacity, and natural gas imported from Russia, at very unfavourable prices, makes up the remaining 10%.

Plans to develop its domestic shale gas industry have produced, as Piotr Wozniak, the Deputy Environment Minister, puts it, “very humble results so far with only 33 wells completed.” He expects another 270 wells to be drilled over the next seven to eight years, still not the most ambitious rate of development, especially given the rate of decline of similar wells in the US.

Related Article: Let the Fracking Begin in Europe - Very Cautiously

The uncertain legal landscape and lengthy testing process offers part of an explanation as to why Poland has not yet taken full advantage of the potential of its reported shale resources.

A study by the US Energy Information Association in 2011 estimated that Poland could hold gas reserves of as much as 5.3 trillion cubic metres.

Wozniak has stated that foreign investment will be vital to developing that potential, and to this end the Polish government must lay out clear regulations for exploration, drilling, and extraction in order to assure foreign investors.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News