• 8 hours OPEC, Russia Said To Announce Oil Pact Extension On Nov 30
  • 11 hours Wintershall And LetterOne In Talks For $12B Oil, Gas Merger
  • 13 hours India Exempts State Oil Firms Mergers From Competition Approval
  • 15 hours Turkey Targets $5B Investment In Wind Energy By End-2017
  • 17 hours Weatherford Looks To Sell Assets To Ease Some Of $8B Debt
  • 18 hours OPEC Set To Move Fast On Cut Extension Decision
  • 20 hours Nigeria Makes First Step Away From Oil
  • 1 day Russia Approves Profit-Based Oil Tax For 2019
  • 1 day French Strike Disrupts Exxon And Total’s Oil Product Shipments
  • 2 days Kurdistan’s Oil Exports Still Below Pre-Conflict Levels
  • 2 days Oil Production Cuts Taking A Toll On Russia’s Economy
  • 2 days Aramco In Talks With Chinese Petrochemical Producers
  • 2 days Federal Judge Grants Go-Ahead On Keystone XL Lawsuit
  • 2 days Maduro Names Chavez’ Cousin As Citgo Boss
  • 2 days Bidding Action Heats Up In UK’s Continental Shelf
  • 2 days Keystone Pipeline Restart Still Unknown
  • 2 days UK Offers North Sea Oil Producers Tax Relief To Boost Investment
  • 3 days Iraq Wants To Build Gas Pipeline To Kuwait In Blow To Shell
  • 3 days Trader Trafigura Raises Share Of Oil Purchases From State Firms
  • 3 days German Energy Group Uniper Rejects $9B Finnish Takeover Bid
  • 3 days Total Could Lose Big If It Pulls Out Of South Pars Deal
  • 3 days Dakota Watchdog Warns It Could Revoke Keystone XL Approval
  • 4 days Oil Prices Rise After API Reports Major Crude Draw
  • 4 days Citgo President And 5 VPs Arrested On Embezzlement Charges
  • 4 days Gazprom Speaks Out Against OPEC Production Cut Extension
  • 4 days Statoil Looks To Lighter Oil To Boost Profitability
  • 4 days Oil Billionaire Becomes Wind Energy’s Top Influencer
  • 4 days Transneft Warns Urals Oil Quality Reaching Critical Levels
  • 4 days Whitefish Energy Suspends Work In Puerto Rico
  • 4 days U.S. Authorities Arrest Two On Major Energy Corruption Scheme
  • 4 days Thanksgiving Gas Prices At 3-Year High
  • 4 days Iraq’s Giant Majnoon Oilfield Attracts Attention Of Supermajors
  • 5 days South Iraq Oil Exports Close To Record High To Offset Kirkuk Drop
  • 5 days Iraqi Forces Find Mass Graves In Oil Wells Near Kirkuk
  • 5 days Chevron Joint Venture Signs $1.7B Oil, Gas Deal In Nigeria
  • 5 days Iraq Steps In To Offset Falling Venezuela Oil Production
  • 5 days ConocoPhillips Sets Price Ceiling For New Projects
  • 7 days Shell Oil Trading Head Steps Down After 29 Years
  • 7 days Higher Oil Prices Reduce North American Oil Bankruptcies
  • 8 days Statoil To Boost Exploration Drilling Offshore Norway In 2018
Is This The Ultimate Fuel For Millennials?

Is This The Ultimate Fuel For Millennials?

The next biofuel breakthrough could…

Can Oil Majors Continue To Beat Estimates?

Can Oil Majors Continue To Beat Estimates?

As oil prices claw their…

James Burgess

James Burgess

James Burgess studied Business Management at the University of Nottingham. He has worked in property development, chartered surveying, marketing, law, and accounts. He has also…

More Info

More Oil Discovered in Northern Iraqi Kurdistan

More Oil Discovered in Northern Iraqi Kurdistan

In July 2009 the British oil & gas company, Gulf Keystone Petroleum Ltd., was awarded a Production Sharing Contract for the Sheikh Adi block, part of the Shaikan structure in Northern Iraq, by the Kurdistan Regional Government. Gulf Keystone Petroleum was given an 80% interest, with the remaining 20% staying under the control of the KRG.

Gulf Keystone are happy to confirm the presence of oil in block after their preliminary tests yielded a flow rate of 4,235 barrels of heavy crude oil a day.

A statement released by the company said that, “the notification of the discovery follows the completion of a well testing program of the Sheikh Adi-2 exploration well on the block, located immediately to the west of the company's Shaikan block, which is a major commercial discovery.”

Related Article: Report Highlights "Troubled" Year for Iraq

Two facilities are currently been developed in the region with a predicted production capacity of 40,000 barrels per day for the middle of next year, and then a full-scale production capacity of 150,000 barrels per day expected by 2015.

Todd Kozel, CEO of Gulf Keystone Petroleum, commented that “this most recent exploration success points to the significant potential for further growth and future synergies across our world-class acreage in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.”

By. James Burgess of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News