• 14 hours Oil Pares Gains After API Reports Surprise Crude Inventory Build
  • 15 hours Elon Musk Won’t Get Paid Unless Tesla Does “Extraordinarily Well”
  • 15 hours U.S. Regulators Keep Keystone Capacity Capped At 80 Percent
  • 16 hours Trump Signs Off On 30 Percent Tariff On Imported Solar Equipment
  • 18 hours Russian Funds May Invest In Aramco’s IPO To Boost Oil Ties
  • 19 hours IMF Raises Saudi Arabia Growth Outlook On Higher Oil Prices
  • 20 hours China Is World’s Number-2 In LNG Imports
  • 1 day EIA Weekly Inventory Data Due Wednesday, Despite Govt. Shutdown
  • 1 day Oklahoma Rig Explodes, Leaving Five Missing
  • 2 days Lloyd’s Sees No Room For Coal In New Investment Strategy
  • 2 days Gunmen Kidnap Nigerian Oil Workers In Oil-Rich Delta Area
  • 2 days Libya’s NOC Restarts Oil Fields
  • 2 days US Orion To Develop Gas Field In Iraq
  • 4 days U.S. On Track To Unseat Saudi Arabia As No.2 Oil Producer In the World
  • 4 days Senior Interior Dept. Official Says Florida Still On Trump’s Draft Drilling Plan
  • 4 days Schlumberger Optimistic In 2018 For Oilfield Services Businesses
  • 5 days Only 1/3 Of Oil Patch Jobs To Return To Canada After Downturn Ends
  • 5 days Statoil, YPF Finalize Joint Vaca Muerta Development Deal
  • 5 days TransCanada Boasts Long-Term Commitments For Keystone XL
  • 5 days Nigeria Files Suit Against JP Morgan Over Oil Field Sale
  • 5 days Chinese Oil Ships Found Violating UN Sanctions On North Korea
  • 5 days Oil Slick From Iranian Tanker Explosion Is Now The Size Of Paris
  • 5 days Nigeria Approves Petroleum Industry Bill After 17 Long Years
  • 6 days Venezuelan Output Drops To 28-Year Low In 2017
  • 6 days OPEC Revises Up Non-OPEC Production Estimates For 2018
  • 6 days Iraq Ready To Sign Deal With BP For Kirkuk Fields
  • 6 days Kinder Morgan Delays Trans Mountain Launch Again
  • 6 days Shell Inks Another Solar Deal
  • 7 days API Reports Seventh Large Crude Draw In Seven Weeks
  • 7 days Maduro’s Advisors Recommend Selling Petro At Steep 60% Discount
  • 7 days EIA: Shale Oil Output To Rise By 1.8 Million Bpd Through Q1 2019
  • 7 days IEA: Don’t Expect Much Oil From Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Before 2030
  • 7 days Minister Says Norway Must Prepare For Arctic Oil Race With Russia
  • 7 days Eight Years Late—UK Hinkley Point C To Be In Service By 2025
  • 7 days Sunk Iranian Oil Tanker Leave Behind Two Slicks
  • 7 days Saudi Arabia Shuns UBS, BofA As Aramco IPO Coordinators
  • 7 days WCS-WTI Spread Narrows As Exports-By-Rail Pick Up
  • 7 days Norway Grants Record 75 New Offshore Exploration Leases
  • 7 days China’s Growing Appetite For Renewables
  • 8 days Chevron To Resume Drilling In Kurdistan
Alt Text

Did These Mining Giants Just Confirm The Next Gold Frontier?

After Ecuador’s President removed a…

Alt Text

Expect Mine Closures In This Key Gold Mining Nation

Major gold mining nation South…

Alt Text

Can Mali Maintain Its Gold Mining Status?

Mali could be about to…

Mad Hedge Fund Trader

Mad Hedge Fund Trader

John Thomas, The Mad Hedge Fund Trader is one of today's most successful Hedge Fund Managers and a 40 year veteran of the financial markets.…

More Info

The New California Gold Rush

The gold rush is back on in California.

On my way back from Lake Tahoe recently, I saw that every bend of the American river was dotted with hopeful amateur miners, looking to make a windfall fortune.

Weekend hobbyists were there panning away from the banks, while the hardcore pros stood in hip waders balancing portable pumps on truck inner tubes, pouring sand into sluice boxes.
A sharp-eyed veteran can take in $2,000 worth of gold dust a day.

The new 2010'ers were driven by a record price of gold at $1,220 and the attendant headlines, but also by unemployment, and recent heavy rains last winter that flushed huge new quantities of the yellow metal out of the High Sierras.

They were no doubt inspired by the chance discovery of an 8.7 ounce nugget in May near Bakersfield, worth an impressive $10,000.

Local folklore says that The Sierra's have given up only 20% of their gold, and the remaining 80% is still up there awaiting discovery.

Out of work construction workers are taking their heavy equipment up to the mountains and using it to reopen mines that have been abandoned since the 19th century.

The US Bureau of Land Management says that mining permits in the Golden State this year have shot up from 15,606 to 23,974.

Unfortunately, the big money here is being made by the sellers of supplies and services to the new miners, much as Levi Strauss and Wells Fargo did in the original 1849 gold rush.

Of course, they could much more easily buy the Spider Gold Trust Shares ETF (GLD), but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Article courtesy of: The Mad Hedge Fund Trader




Back to homepage


Leave a comment

Leave a comment




Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News