• 5 minutes Iran Says It Arrested 17 CIA Spies, Some Sentenced To Death
  • 9 minutes Will We Ever See 100$+ OIL?
  • 13 minutes Iran downs US drone. No military response . . Just Destroy their economy. Can Senator Kerry be tried for aiding enemy ?
  • 14 hours Iran Loses $130,000,000 Oil Revenue Every Day They Continue Their Games . . . .Opportunity Lost . . . Will Never Get It Back. . . . . LOL .
  • 6 hours Renewables provided only about 4% of total global energy needs in 2018
  • 3 hours Platts says if Iran's 2 mm bbls exports comes back on market oil goes to $40 . . . What about new Permian pipelines 2.47 mm bbls coming ? . . . WHAT IF BOTH IRAN AND PERMIAN TOTAL 4.47 mm added bbls . . . OMG !
  • 1 hour Today United States President Trump Questioned U.S. Policing Straights of Hormuz for Rich Asian Countries. Allies Britain and Japan asked to participate. They said NO. Nice friends, huh. US spends $100 Billion a year Protecting Mideast Shipping Lanes!
  • 3 hours So You Think We’re Reducing Fossil Fuel? — Think Again
  • 6 hours N.Y. Governor Signs Climate Bill
  • 2 hours Oil Giant Saudi Arabia Is Set to Start First Wind-Power Plant
  • 22 hours Berkeley becomes first U.S. city to ban natural gas in new homes
  • 16 hours U.S. Administration Moves To End Asylum Protections For Central Americans
  • 21 hours How is E&P of Marginal Oil on the UKCS Similar to the Shale Oil Operations in the US?
  • 3 hours EIA Reports Are Fraudulent : EIA Is Conspiring With Trump To Keep Oil Prices Low
  • 1 day Trump vs. Xi Trade Battle, Running Commentary from Conservative Tree House
  • 1 day Shale Oil will it self destruct?
Oil Plunges As Iran Conflict Cools

Oil Plunges As Iran Conflict Cools

Oil prices plunged by 4…

Iran: Our Missile Program Is Not Negotiable

Iran: Our Missile Program Is Not Negotiable

A day after suggestions emerged…

Sinopec Nearing Deal To Buy Chevron’s $1B South African Assets

Sinopec

China’s Sinopec is the last bidder left in the race to buy a majority interest in Chevron’s South African assets worth $1 billion, Reuters reported on Friday, citing two people familiar with the deal.

Sinopec is close to sealing an agreement with Chevron over the South African assets that the U.S. major first said would be put up for sale in January last year. Following an auction that had lasted more than a year, Sinopec is now the last bidder remaining, Reuters’ sources said.

In October last year, France’s oil major Total SA, mining and trading giant Glencore, and crude oil trader Gunvor had reportedly bid to buy 75 percent of Chevron’s South African downstream business.

In January 2016, Chevron said it was considering selling its 75 percent of its South African business, including a 110,000-bpd refinery in Cape Town, as part of a multi-billion-dollar divestment plan announced in 2014. Chevron operates in South Africa via Chevron South Africa (Pty) Limited, in which it has a 75 percent stake, while a consortium of Black Economic Empowerment shareholders and an employee trust own the other 25 percent. Chevron South Africa also has a network of Caltex service stations, one of the country’s top four petroleum brands, according to Chevron. The U.S. energy major also operates a lubricants plant in Durban, on South Africa’s east coast.

Now if Sinopec manages to snap up Chevron’s assets in South Africa, it would get its first refinery asset in Africa that would further expand the Chinese company’s fuel distribution network across the world.

Related: Is Kurdish Oil A Gamble Worth Taking?

The process of soliciting expressions of interest in the 75 percent shareholding is ongoing,” Chevron spokesman Braden Reddall told Reuters.

Rothschild & Co is advising Chevron on the sale of the South African assets, according to Reuters.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment
  • Dan on March 19 2017 said:
    Perfect timing for the new Chinese military base in Africa.

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play