• 3 minutes e-car sales collapse
  • 6 minutes America Is Exceptional in Its Political Divide
  • 11 minutes Perovskites, a ‘dirt cheap’ alternative to silicon, just got a lot more efficient
  • 2 hours GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES
  • 2 days Does Toyota Know Something That We Don’t?
  • 5 days OPINION: Putin’s Genocidal Myth A scholarly treatise on the thousands of years of Ukrainian history. RCW
  • 1 day World could get rid of Putin and Russia but nobody is bold enough
  • 14 hours America should go after China but it should be done in a wise way.
  • 5 days CHINA Economy IMPLODING - Fastest Price Fall in 14 Years & Stock Market Crashes to 5 Year Low
  • 3 days China is using Chinese Names of Cities on their Border with Russia.
  • 5 days Russian Officials Voice Concerns About Chinese-Funded Rail Line
  • 4 days CHINA Economy Disaster - Employee Shortages, Retirement Age, Birth Rate & Ageing Population
  • 5 days Putin and Xi Bet on the Global South
  • 5 days "(Another) Putin Critic 'Falls' Out Of Window, Dies"
  • 6 days United States LNG Exports Reach Third Place
  • 6 days Biden's $2 trillion Plan for Insfrastructure and Jobs
  • 9 days huge-deposit-of-natural-hydrogen-gas-detected-deep-in-albanian-mine

Oil Majors Pull Out From Mexico Exploration Projects

Chevron and Spain’s Repsol have quit exploration at two offshore blocks in Mexico waters after early work suggested there are not enough resources to make it worthwhile to continue.

The two had won the rights to explore the blocks at a tender during the tenure of Mexico’s previous administration, Reuters reported.

Now, Chevron told the Mexican energy regulator its work at the deepwater block offshore the state of Tabasco had yielded no promising results, while Repsol never conducted any meaningful exploration work at the shallow-water block it had won, according to the Mexican hydrocarbons commission—the industry regulator.

The two are only the latest in a list of foreign oil companies that won exploration rights in the recent past and are now returning them, Reuters noted in its report. The list includes BP, Shell, and TotalEnergies, with some companies returning more than one block to the state.

The Pena-Nieto government had major ambitions about Mexico’s oil industry, leaning hard on foreign supermajors to spearhead a surge in production. However, the number of actual discoveries has been smaller than hoped for.

One of these, however, is moving ahead. The Trion field was discovered in 2012 and recently got the final go-ahead from its majority shareholders, Australia’s Woodside Energy. Woodside owns 60% of the Trion field, with the remaining 40% held by Mexico’s state-run oil firm, Pemex. Pemex brought Woodside onto the project five years after discovery because it lacked the resources to develop Trion on its own.

Woodside expects a 16% return on the project with a short payback of four years, assuming $70 oil. The reserves that the project will tap have been estimated at 479 million barrels of oil equivalent in oil and gas

Of these, Woodside’s share is seen at 287 million barrels of oil equivalent. According to Pemex estimates, the gross recoverable reserves of Trion are 485 million barrels of oil equivalent.

ADVERTISEMENT

By Charles Kennedy for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage



Leave a comment

Leave a comment

EXXON Mobil -0.35
Open57.81 Trading Vol.6.96M Previous Vol.241.7B
BUY 57.15
Sell 57.00
Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News