• 3 minutes Could Venezuela become a net oil importer?
  • 7 minutes Reuters: OPEC Ministers Agree In Principle On 1 Million Barrels Per Day Nominal Output Increase
  • 12 minutes Battle for Oil Port: East Libya Forces In Full Control At Ras Lanuf
  • 6 hours Oil prices going Up? NO!
  • 2 days Could Venezuela become a net oil importer?
  • 8 hours Renewables to generate 50% of worldwide electricity by 2050 (BNEF report)
  • 7 hours Reuters: OPEC Ministers Agree In Principle On 1 Million Barrels Per Day Nominal Output Increase
  • 2 days Gazprom Exports to EU Hit Record
  • 12 hours Oil prices going down
  • 15 hours Could oil demand collapse rapidly? Yup, sure could.
  • 2 days Oil Buyers Club
  • 2 days Why is permian oil "locked in" when refineries abound?
  • 14 hours Tesla Closing a Dozen Solar Facilities in Nine States
  • 6 hours China’s Plastic Waste Ban Will Leave 111 Million Tons of Trash With Nowhere To Go
  • 12 hours Saudi Arabia turns to solar
  • 2 days EVs Could Help Coal Demand
  • 3 hours Are Electric Vehicles Really Better For The Environment?
  • 1 day Russia's Energy Minister says Oil Prices Balanced at $75, so Wants to Increase OPEC + Russia Oil by 1.5 mbpd
  • 14 hours Battle for Oil Port: East Libya Forces In Full Control At Ras Lanuf
Australia Looks To Tackle Its Looming Gas Shortage

Australia Looks To Tackle Its Looming Gas Shortage

The world’s soon-to-be top liquefied…

Shale CEO: U.S. To Be The World’s Top Oil Producer By Fall

Shale CEO: U.S. To Be The World’s Top Oil Producer By Fall

Pioneer Natural Resources chief Scott…

Genel Energy Make Large Discovery in Kurdistan

After promising initial tests it seems that Genel Energy have made a major discovery in the Chia Surkh region of Kurdistan. Chief Executive Officer, Tony Hayward, has said that they expect to begin full production in the area early next year.

The Chia Surkh region is in the southeastern part of Kurdistan, right on the border with Iraq, and this exploratory well is the first to have been drilled since 1954. Genel operate the license for the 985 square kilometre block, owning a 60% interest, whilst the remaining 40% is shared by Petoil Inc. and the Kurdistan Regional Government.

After several days of testing Genel was able to announce that the well showed great promise, with a rate of 11,950 barrels of oil a day and 15 million cubic feet of natural gas a day. The well is the first of five.

Related article: Ageing Giant Oil Fields still Dominate World Oil Production

Tony Hayward confirmed that it was a “significant oil find,” and that more wells were now planned for the region to try and determine the full extent of the discovery.

“We intend to carry out a rapid appraisal and development program and expect to have an early production scheme operating in the first half of 2014. Over the same period we will be evaluating and drilling a number of other prospects we have in the Chia Surkh license,” he said.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News