• 1 day Shell Oil Trading Head Steps Down After 29 Years
  • 1 day Higher Oil Prices Reduce North American Oil Bankruptcies
  • 1 day Statoil To Boost Exploration Drilling Offshore Norway In 2018
  • 1 day $1.6 Billion Canadian-US Hydropower Project Approved
  • 2 days Venezuela Officially In Default
  • 2 days Iran Prepares To Export LNG To Boost Trade Relations
  • 2 days Keystone Pipeline Leaks 5,000 Barrels Into Farmland
  • 2 days Saudi Oil Minister: Markets Will Not Rebalance By March
  • 2 days Obscure Dutch Firm Wins Venezuelan Oil Block As Debt Tensions Mount
  • 2 days Rosneft Announces Completion Of World’s Longest Well
  • 2 days Ecuador Won’t Ask Exemption From OPEC Oil Production Cuts
  • 3 days Norway’s $1 Trillion Wealth Fund Proposes To Ditch Oil Stocks
  • 3 days Ecuador Seeks To Clear Schlumberger Debt By End-November
  • 3 days Santos Admits It Rejected $7.2B Takeover Bid
  • 3 days U.S. Senate Panel Votes To Open Alaskan Refuge To Drilling
  • 3 days Africa’s Richest Woman Fired From Sonangol
  • 3 days Oil And Gas M&A Deal Appetite Highest Since 2013
  • 3 days Russian Hackers Target British Energy Industry
  • 4 days Venezuela Signs $3.15B Debt Restructuring Deal With Russia
  • 4 days DOJ: Protestors Interfering With Pipeline Construction Will Be Prosecuted
  • 4 days Lower Oil Prices Benefit European Refiners
  • 4 days World’s Biggest Private Equity Firm Raises $1 Billion To Invest In Oil
  • 4 days Oil Prices Tank After API Reports Strong Build In Crude Inventories
  • 4 days Iraq Oil Revenue Not Enough For Sustainable Development
  • 5 days Sudan In Talks With Foreign Oil Firms To Boost Crude Production
  • 5 days Shell: Four Oil Platforms Shut In Gulf Of Mexico After Fire
  • 5 days OPEC To Recruit New Members To Fight Market Imbalance
  • 5 days Green Groups Want Norway’s Arctic Oil Drilling Licenses Canceled
  • 5 days Venezuelan Oil Output Drops To Lowest In 28 Years
  • 5 days Shale Production Rises By 80,000 BPD In Latest EIA Forecasts
  • 5 days GE Considers Selling Baker Hughes Assets
  • 5 days Eni To Address Barents Sea Regulatory Breaches By Dec 11
  • 6 days Saudi Aramco To Invest $300 Billion In Upstream Projects
  • 6 days Aramco To List Shares In Hong Kong ‘For Sure’
  • 6 days BP CEO Sees Venezuela As Oil’s Wildcard
  • 6 days Iran Denies Involvement In Bahrain Oil Pipeline Blast
  • 8 days The Oil Rig Drilling 10 Miles Under The Sea
  • 8 days Baghdad Agrees To Ship Kirkuk Oil To Iran
  • 8 days Another Group Joins Niger Delta Avengers’ Ceasefire Boycott
  • 9 days Italy Looks To Phase Out Coal-Fired Electricity By 2025
Did Venezuela Just Default?

Did Venezuela Just Default?

S&P Global Ratings declared Venezuela…

Iraq Struggles To Keep Oil Exports Elevated

Iraq Struggles To Keep Oil Exports Elevated

Iraq is struggling to offset…

Foreign Investors Offer $3.6B To Develop Iran Renewables

Solar

Foreign investors have filed proposals for a combined US$3.6 billion to develop renewable energy projects in oil and gas rich Iran, which has set an ambitious target to add 5 GW of renewable power generation capacity by 2022, Iran’s Financial Tribune reports, quoting a senior energy official.

According to Mohammad Sadeqzadeh, the head of state-held Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Organization (Satba), the target to add at least 1 GW of renewable capacity a year is feasible.

Currently, Iran--which holds the world’s fourth-largest proved crude oil reserves and the second-largest natural gas reserves—is overly reliant on fossil fuels to meets its energy demand, and its renewable capacity is just 360 MW. Plans are that by March 2018, Iran will have renewable capacity of 600 MW, Satba said last month, quoting the energy minister.

According to a Middle East Institute analysis, Iran’s energy mix is almost exclusively dominated by natural gas and petroleum derivatives such as fuel oil and gasoline to power thermal power plants, which meet some 98 percent of the total energy demand. The other 2 percent comes from hydropower, nuclear, biofuels, and other renewable sources.  

Iran’s government is targeting the installation of more than 5,000 MW renewable capacity by 2022, which would include 4,500 MW of wind power and 500 MW of solar power.

In December 2015, just a month before most Western sanctions on Iran’s oil were lifted, Mostafa Rabeie, Head of International Affairs at the Renewable Energy Organisation of Iran, told Frost & Sullivan that in order to reach the 5 GW of renewable energy, Iran needed investments of more than US$10 billion.

After major restrictions on domestic and foreign financing in Iran were removed, the investment goals of US$10 billion by 2018 and US$60 billion by 2025 “now appear feasible”, the Middle East Institute said in early 2016.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com: 



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News