• 2 minutes Oil Price Could Fall To $30 If Global Deal Not Extended
  • 5 minutes Middle East on brink: Oil tankers attacked off Oman
  • 8 minutes CNN:America's oil boom will break more records this year. OPEC is stuck in retreat
  • 16 mins Iran downs US drone. No military response . . Just Destroy their Economy Completely. Can Senator Kerry be tried for aiding enemy ?
  • 16 mins Emissions Need To Be Halved To Avoid 3C Warming
  • 2 hours The Pope: "Climate change ... doomsday predictions can no longer be met with irony or disdain."
  • 53 mins Here We Go: New York Lawmakers Pass Aggressive Law To Fight Climate Change
  • 35 mins Coal Boom in Asia is Real and a Long Trend
  • 6 hours Summit in Pyongyang: China's Xi Says World Hopes North Korea-U.S. Talks Can Succeed
  • 7 hours Pioneer CEO Said U.S. Oil Production would be up to 15 mm bbls/day NOW if we had the pipelines. Permian pipelines STARTING Q3
  • 16 hours Solar Panels at 26 cents per watt
  • 2 hours Huge UK Gas Discovery
  • 22 hours The Magic and Wonders of US Shale Supply: Keeping energy price shock minimised: US oil supply keeping lid on prices despite global risks: IEA chief
  • 22 hours Magic of Shale: EXPORTS!! Crude Exporters Navigate Gulf Coast Terminal Constraints
  • 21 hours US to become net oil exporter in November: EIA
  • 19 hours US Shale Drilling lacks regulatory body.
  • 20 hours Ireland To Ban New Petrol And Diesel Vehicles From 2030
OPEC Aims For $60-$70 Oil

OPEC Aims For $60-$70 Oil

Equatorial Guinea’s Oil Minister Obiang…

James Burgess

James Burgess

James Burgess studied Business Management at the University of Nottingham. He has worked in property development, chartered surveying, marketing, law, and accounts. He has also…

More Info

Exxon Mobil Returns to Madagascar - Four Years after Military Coup

Madagascar, the island nation off the east coast of Mozambique, boasts rich mineral deposits, and for a few years in the mid-2000s it attracted attention from foreign investors, such as Total, Exxon Mobil, and Rio Tinto, all looking to get a share in the unexplored potential of the island and its waters.

Then in early 2009, after months of protests and political tension, President Marc Ravalomanana stepped down, ceding power to Andry Rajoelina, the leader of the High Transitional Authority opposition party. Rajoelina was then named the new president in what very much resembled a military coup.

Related article: Tourist Resort Bombing Pressures Tunisia’s National Dialogue

The political instability in Madagascar had unsettled many investors, and the coup proved to be the final straw. Exxon Mobil decided to announce a force majeure in Madagascar, closing down all operations, as it looked to avoid any further problems, and wait to see how the political and investment environment would unfold under a new government and leader.

Now, four years later it seems as though Exxon Mobil is happier with the situation in Madagascar, and has announced its success in the obtainment of extensions to its three production sharing licenses, which Rajoelina signed in July. Exploration activities will now once again resume at the Ampasindava, Majunga, and Cap St. Andre licenses offshore Madagascar.

The people of Madagascar are in the process of determining their next president, and it is hoped that this general election will end the political crisis that began four years ago, helping to rebuild investor confidence, and bring much needed cash to the poor country.

In the company statement released on Wednesday, Exxon Mobil confirmed that “the affiliates intend to resume exploration work and environmental assessments for shore-based and offshore operations in preparation for deepwater drilling.”

Related article: Marathon Rethinks Libya Exit

Madagascar actually has no proven hydrocarbon reserves as of yet, but the fact that it shares a maritime boundary with Mozambique, where huge natural gas reserves have been discovered, gives explorers high hopes.

Exxon Mobil Exploration and Production Ltd. operates the Ampasindava PSC license, with a 70% stake whilst Sterling Energy holds the other 30%. It also holds a 100% stake in the Cap St. Andre license, and a 50% stake interest in the Majunga license, with BG International taking 30%, PVEP 10%, and SK Innovation 10%.

By. James Burgess of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News