• 3 minutes Nucelar Deal Is Dead? Iran Distances Itself Further From ND, Alarming Russia And France
  • 5 minutes Don Jr. Tweets name Ukraine Whistleblower, Eric Ciaramella. Worked for CIA during Obama Administration, Hold over to Trump National Security Counsel under Gen McCallister, more . . . .
  • 9 minutes Shale pioneer Chesepeak will file bankruptcy soon. FINALLY ! The consolidation begins
  • 12 minutes China's Blueprint For Global Power
  • 9 hours EU has already lost the Trump vs. EU Trade War
  • 38 mins Science: Only correct if it fits the popular narrative
  • 3 hours Pioneer's Sheffield in Doghouse. Oil upset his bragging about Shale hurt prices. Now on campaign to lower expectations, prop up price.
  • 6 hours ''Err ... but Trump ...?'' *sniff
  • 2 hours China's Renewables Boom Hits the Wall
  • 1 hour What are the odds of 4 U.S. politicians all having children working for Ukraine Gas Companies?
  • 11 mins Crazy Stories From Round The World
  • 17 hours Who writes this stuff? "Crude Prices Swing Between Gains, Losses"
  • 2 hours Tesla Launches Faster Third Generation Supercharger
  • 2 hours Forget out-of-date 'dirty oil' smear, Alberta moving to be world's cleanest oil industry
  • 9 hours Passerby doused with flammable liquid and set on fire by peaceful protesters
  • 1 day Haaretz article series _ Saudi Arabia: A Kingdom in Turmoil | Part 1 - Oil Empire

Breaking News:

Russia Plans To Boost Crude Oil Exports

Four Ways Oil Has Made Our Lives Better

Four Ways Oil Has Made Our Lives Better

Fossil fuels are being scrutinized…

Oil Prices Fall On Bearish EIA Inventory Report

Oil Prices Fall On Bearish EIA Inventory Report

Oil pared gains on Thursday…

Enbridge, Spectra Ink A $28 Billion Merger Deal

NatGas installation

On Tuesday, Canadian pipeline company Enbridge agreed to the purchase of Spectra Energy Corporation out of Houston. The all stock deal is valued at $28 million. In the deal, Spectra Energy Holders will receive Enbridge shares valued at approximately $40.33 each.

When the deal is closed, Enbridge shareholders will own 57 percent of the company, while Spectra holders will have the remaining 43 percent. The new entity, bearing Enbridge’s name, will be a major energy infrastructure company that is being created when the industry continues to cope with low oil prices and the resulting conditions.

The company will have assets in crude oil, liquids and natural gas pipelines, terminal and midstream operations. The company will also have a regulated utility portfolio and renewable energy operations.

Al Monaco, the chief executive of Enbridge stated: “Bringing Enbridge and Spectra Energy together makes strong strategic and financial sense, and the all-stock nature of the transaction provides shareholders of both companies with the opportunity to participate in the significant upside potential of the combined company.”

Greg Ebel, who will be the chairman of the new company noted: “Together, the merged companies will have what we believe is the finest platform for serving customers in every region of North America and providing investors with the opportunity for superior shareholder returns.”

The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2017, according to a statement from Enbridge and Spectra.

Of note: in an interview with the Houston Business Journal in April, Ebel, who at the time was the CEO for Spectra, stated: “We have a history of being involved in M&A and consolidation, but we don’t need to do that because we have a $10 billion backlog of contracted projects that we’re building. You can build projects cheaper than you can buy new assets. In buying new assets, you’re usually buying assets that are revenue producing, and building assets takes several years to get it done, but we’ll be on the lookout.”

By Lincoln Brown for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play