• 4 minutes Energy Armageddon
  • 6 minutes "How to Calculate Your Individual ESG Score to ensure that your Digital ID 'benefits' and money are accessible"
  • 12 minutes "Europe’s Energy Crisis Has Ended Its Era Of Abundance" by Irina Slav
  • 3 hours GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES
  • 2 hours Is Europe heading for winter of discontent with extensive gas shortages?
  • 3 days Wind droughts
  • 22 hours Kazakhstan Is Defying Russia and Has the Support of China. China is Using Russia's Weakness to Expand Its Own Influence.
  • 7 days "Natural Gas Price Fundamental Daily Forecast – Grinding Toward Summer Highs Despite Huge Short Interest" by James Hyerczyk & REUTERS on NatGas
  • 5 hours ""Green" Energy Is a Scam. It Isn't MEANT to Work." - By James Corbett of The Corbett Report
  • 5 days Oil Prices Fall After Fed Raises Rates
  • 6 days Oil Stocks, Market Direction, Bitcoin, Minerals, Gold, Silver - Technical Trading <--- Chris Vermeulen & Gareth Soloway weigh in
  • 13 days "Russian oil executive and Putin critic Ravil Maganov dead after mysterious six-story fall" - The New York Post
  • 4 hours 87,000 new IRS agents, higher taxes, and a massive green energy slush fund... "Here Are The Winners And Losers In The 'Inflation Reduction Act'"-ZeroHedge
  • 10 days Beware the Left's 'Degrowth' Movement (i.e. why Covid-19 is Good)
  • 13 days The Federal Reserve and Money...Aspects which are not widely known
Colombia May Shoot Itself In The Foot With Ban On Fracking

Colombia May Shoot Itself In The Foot With Ban On Fracking

Newly appointed leftwing President Gustavo…

OPEC Crude Oil Exports Trend Lower In September

OPEC Crude Oil Exports Trend Lower In September

Crude oil exports from all…

BP to Develop $16 Billion Tight Gas Project in Oman

Oman has seen its gas exports fall drastically due to growing domestic demand, but it hopes that a new deal agreed with BP will see production output rise enough to help maintain its desired rate of economic growth.

The $16 billion natural gas project will see BP drill around 300 wells over the next 15 years throughout a region of the Omani desert that contains huge reserves in a sandstone formation about 4.5 kilometres below the surface.

The Khazzan tight gas project, as it is called, will extract a predicted one billion cubic feet of gas a day.

Related article: China’s Sinopec Eyes Stake in Canadian LNG Project

Mohammed Al Rumhy, the Omani Oil and Gas Minister, announced that “today’s signing is an important step in the Sultanate of Oman's plans to meet growing demand for energy over the coming decades and to contribute to economic development in Oman.

The Khazzan project is the largest new upstream project in Oman and a pioneering development in the region in unlocking technically challenging tight gas through technology.

The country needs the gas to develop its economy. Our needs for gas increase day by day.”

BP will use its expertise in hydraulic fracturing to develop tight gas trapped in sandstone. It plans to invest about $9.6 billion to develop the project, of which it owns a 60% stake. The other 40% is controlled by the state-owned Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production.

A price has finally been agreed with BP for the gas that they manage to extract, and whilst it has not been revealed, Bob Dudley, BP’s Chief Executive, has said that it was competitive with BP’S global investment portfolio.

Related article: Shell and GE Team Up for ‘Age of Gas’

“We are a company who have said that we will use a very disciplined capital framework and for the rest of the decade we will keep BP's capital investments between $24 and $27 billion a year.

There are other projects that we have put aside but this is one that is big, it is important and it is a good partnership... It fits with our strategy as a company to develop large reservoirs.”

Construction on the project is set to begin in 2014, with the first gas to be produced by the end of 2017.

By. Joao Peixe of Oilprice.com



Join the discussion | Back to homepage



Leave a comment

Leave a comment

EXXON Mobil -0.35
Open57.81 Trading Vol.6.96M Previous Vol.241.7B
BUY 57.15
Sell 57.00
Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News