• 4 minutes THE GREAT OIL PRICE PREDICTION CHALLENGE OF 2018
  • 9 minutes Time For Reaction: Trump Presses OPEC to Reduce Prices as Crude Trades Near $80
  • 15 minutes Nothing new in Middle East? Iran Puts On 'Show Of Strength' Military Exercise In Gulf
  • 5 hours So oil touched $80! (WTI break $71 twice). What does the future hold?
  • 6 hours Global Hunger Continues to Grow Driven By Climate Change
  • 7 hours China Tariff Threatens U.S. LNG Boom
  • 9 hours Why Are the Maldives Still above Sea Level?
  • 1 hour Threat: Iran warns U.S, Israel to expect a 'devastating' revenge
  • 7 hours Praise for Alberta
  • 10 hours Downloadable 3D Printed Gun Designs, Yay or Nay?
  • 15 hours Freedom Of Internet: Google Plans Censored Version Of Search Engine In China!
  • 2 days Transition Time: Volkswagen Announces "Electric for All" Campaign
  • 1 day Toyota Agreed To Add Android Auto To Its Vehicles
  • 14 hours Lack of Global Warming Messes with Russian Arctic LNG Plans
  • 15 mins Saudi Aramco IPO Seems Unlikely
  • 2 days Permian already crested the productivity bell curve - downward now to Tier 2 geological locations
  • 2 days Robots Roam the Seafloor Looking for Mineral Resources
  • 2 days Impeachment and stock market
Determining The Sweet Spot For Crude Oil

Determining The Sweet Spot For Crude Oil

The momentum for WTI and…

Is The Bakken Close To Breaking?

Is The Bakken Close To Breaking?

The Bakken has been reborn…

Aramco Strikes Rig-Building JV Deal With National Oilwell Varco

Riyadh

Saudi Aramco has closed a joint venture deal with U.S. National Oilwell Varco for the construction of a rig and equipment manufacturing facility in Saudi Arabia, media report, adding the Saudi state oil giant will be a minority shareholder with 30 percent and the U.S. company will hold the other 70 percent in the venture.

The chief executive of Aramco said the venture will advance the creation of an oil industry services sector in the Kingdom and stimulate trade with locally produced goods and services. It is part of efforts by Riyadh to diversify its economy away from its near-total reliance on oil for export revenues.

“The kingdom leadership’s efforts to accelerate economic diversification as part of Vision 2030 is having a significant impact in enabling the creation of new sub-sectors and also in attracting investments from our international partners to our nation’s vital oil and gas industry," Amin Naser, Aramco CEO, said.

Oil industry services is one direction that this diversification is going into, and refining and petrochemicals is another. Aramco has committed tens of billions of dollars in investments in refining and petrochemical production projects abroad in a bid to both secure long-term demand for its crude and reduce its dependence on crude oil exports only.

Related: The Saudis Won’t Prevent The Next Oil Shock

The new Aramco/NOV venture will aim to produce 10 drilling rigs annually, Aramco said. The facility will be completed in 2020 and the first rig should be delivered in 2021.

In a statement on the joint venture, National Oil Varco said the new entity will receive financial support from a commitment by Saudi Aramco Nabors Drilling Company to buy 50 onshore drilling rigs from the U.S. rig-building company.

Earlier this month, National Oilwell Varco expanded its European presence with the acquisition of Dutch-based offshore rig design firm GustoMSC to strengthen its offshore rig portfolio.

By Irina Slav for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News