• 4 minutes Will We Ever See 100$+ OIL?
  • 8 minutes Iran downs US drone. No military response . . Just Destroy their economy. Can Senator Kerry be tried for aiding enemy ?
  • 11 minutes Energy Outlook for Renewables. Pie in the sky or real?
  • 2 hours Shale Oil will it self destruct?
  • 9 hours White House insider who predicted Iran False Flag, David Goldberg found dead in his New York apartment
  • 1 day NYT: Mass Immigration Roundups in U.S. to Start Sunday
  • 3 hours Migration From Eastern Europe Raises German Population To Record High
  • 4 hours Excellent Choice: Germany's Von der Leyen Secures Powerful EU Executive Top Job
  • 15 hours Germany exits coal: A model for Asia?
  • 1 day Carrot And Stick: North Korea Suggests It Might Lift Weapons Test moratorium
  • 3 hours Washington Post hit piece attacking oil, Christians and Trump
  • 1 day South Korea imports No Oil From Iran in June - First-Half Imports Fall 37%
  • 11 hours Starlink Internet Courtesy of Tesla
  • 15 hours A Silence is heard
  • 2 days U.S.- Taiwan: China Says Will Freeze Out U.S. Companies That Sell Arms To Taiwan
  • 1 day Trump vs. Xi Trade Battle, Running Commentary from Conservative Tree House

African Petroleum Claims Rights Over Senegal Block Bought By Total

Deepwater

Oslo-listed independent oil and gas producer African Petroleum said on Wednesday that it still holds 90 percent in a block offshore Senegal, for which France’s oil major Total SA signed an exploration and production sharing contract the day before.

On Tuesday, Total said that it had signed a deal for the Rufisque Offshore Profond block, in which it will be the operator with a 90 percent interest, with state firm Société Nationale des Pétroles du Sénégal (Petrosen) holding the remaining 10 percent.

Now African Petroleum reiterates its position that it owns 90 percent of the Rufisque Offshore Profond (ROP) production sharing contract, potentially setting the stage to a legal battle.

“Under the terms of the ROP PSC, the block remains active unless and until a termination procedure is enacted by the Republic of Senegal. To date, the Republic of Senegal has not validly enacted such termination procedure, and accordingly the Company reserves its rights under the ROP PSC,” African Petroleum said in its statement.

According to Reuters, Petrosen said on Thursday that the contract with African Petroleum had been canceled in April last year.

“The company was supposed to do work in compliance with its obligations and that was not done so we canceled the contract,” Petrosen Managing Director Mamadou Faye told Reuters.

Related: Oil Prices Crash To Pre-OPEC Deal Levels

The potential dispute over the offshore Senegal resources comes at a time when Australian exploration company FAR said in February that it had discovered more than 1.5 billion barrels of crude off the coast of Senegal, as a result of a 3D seismic study.

Last month, Cairn Energy said that its appraisal and exploration well program offshore Senegal continues, with the latest well drilled confirming the reservoir presence, fluid contacts, and fluid quality in line with the results from the previous wells.

In its Q1 2017 results release earlier this week, BP said that it had started exploration drilling in Senegal.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play