World’s First Skyscraper with Built-in Wind Turbines - A New Trend?

143 meters tall, rising above the crowd in Central London, Strata SE1 (or “the Razor” as it is popularly called, due to its sharp, angular design), is the first skyscraper in the world “to have electricity-generating wind turbines built into its core design ‘fabric’.”

While there are other, much taller buildings with turbines added on following the finish of their primary construction, the Strata has included them in the architectural plan from the get-go. The threesome of integrated wind turbines, at full capacity, will generate 8% of the buildings energy needs.

Will this become a common trend in the future?

It makes sense for new builds to incorporate renewable energy generators such as wind turbines and solar panels. It helps produce energy for the building and also adds a nice USP attraction to tenants.

Amazing, think of the possibilities... imagine if we could build a few in NY, Con-ED would have gotten to Staten Island much sooner.

Not really relevant to the conversation - but have you seen the headlines about China building the world's tallest skyscraper in 90 days. I thought this was utter nonense but this weekend i was speaking to a skyscraper designer who said this could be possible. Still with all the other construction problems taking place in China i can't see too many people rushing to buy apartments in a building that was put up at the rate of four floors a day.

I trust them. I'd like a good look around with a structural engineer first before investing, but I think that just because technology has advanced to the degree that we can build skyscrapers in the space of a few months, does not mean we should fear it.

The article states that it will only use one fifth of the energy of a normal skyscraper of similar size, although no explication of how this is possible.

If this turns out to be true, and the whole structure is safe, then it truly could become one of the biggest breakthroughs in construction.
    A super energy efficient building that takes a twentieth of the time to erect.