India: 2.4 Million Jobs from Renewable Energy by 2020

According to a report jointly commissioned by environmental group Greenpeace, the Global Wind Energy Council and the European Renewable Energy Council, India’s renewable energy sector will create up to 2.4 million jobs by 2020.

To date, the sector employs 200,000 people, but this could jump 14 times by 2030 with the right policies and investments in place.

By 2050, about 92 percent of India’s energy infrastructure will be based on renewable energy sources. Renewables such as wind, solar thermal energy and photovoltaic, will comprise 74 percent of electricity generation.

The study projected that the country will experience immediate market development, with high annual growth rates achieving renewable electricity share of 32 percent already by 2020 and 62 percent by 2030. Moreover, the installed capacity of renewable energy will reach 548 gigawatts in 2030 and 1,356 by 2050.

I find those estimates for India's renewable energy capacity a little difficult to believe.

1,356GW by 2050??? not likely.

And if they truly are aiming for this target, then I hope that they work even harder to try and sort out their electricity grid, or the generating capacity that they install will be useless.

And the money and effort they expend would buy many times the energy from Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors (LFTRs). Given that much power, those people could be doing something that is much more productive. Subsidizing "renewable" power for "jobs" just makes everyone the poorer.

while there is hope for the future of LFTRs I am not aware of actual working production size models - or even continuously functioning small scale facilities - if you know of a source that actually provides functioning site (not just hypothetical proposal) please provide reference - the last proposed site (England) that I am aware of has been scrapped

There was one at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. There could be one again for what in the DoE amounts to small change. Indeed, if half what was spent on unreliables by the Obama administration had been spent for LFTRs instead, we could have had an assembly line building them today.