Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

German Environment Ministry Supports Fracking Ban

Germany's Environmental Ministry is urging the government to ban fracking near drinking water reservoirs and mineral springs and calling for environmental impact studies from developers.

Do you think this might have something to do with Gazprom? I know that they have used underhand tactics to try and deter any support for fracking because they are scared that a European fracking boom would spell doom for their own gas exports. Now I am always suspicious of any anti-fracking remarks in the EU.

Interesting thought, very intuitive. I will look into this.

It's a tough call. I'm sure Gazprom has "gone environmental", but fracking sentiments in Europe are in general quite negative. France and Bulgaria have already banned fracking. Of course, Gazprom is the sole supplier of gas to Bulgaria ... so certainly some pressure there.

And France's nuclear industry put massive pressure on the move to ban fracking, again scared that a shale gas boom would be disastrous for their monopoly on providing France its energy.

I support the fracking ban in Germany and for that matter in all of
    EuroLand...This just means a great market for Canadian and American
    energy producers...

Hans, is your support of a fracking ban in Europe based only on the hope that without their own shale gas, EU countries would turn to the US and Canada for cheap natural gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    Hans, is your support of a fracking ban in Europe based only on the hope that without their own shale gas, EU countries would turn to the US and Canada for cheap natural gas?
    Braveheart, if they are that stupid, affirmative...Besides, who knows what additives the KGB Putin their gas...

I remember reading an article about connections between German environmentalist organisations and Gazprom. The point was that Gazprom was funding them.
    Strange things started to happen in germany. Germany is going to starve itself of energy. First, nuclear ban. (Article mentioned was connected to nuclear ban in germany) Then natural gas and related technologies were risen to equal status with green and renewable technologies. Meaning subsidies to Gazprom gas. Then Nordstream was built and soon Nordstream 2 is going to be built. And now fracking is forbidden technology.
    Wind farms are destibilizing german electric grid and surrounding countries grids.
    Could anyone from Germany comment, what is going on?

Don't bother. Seems that just about every generation, the Germans go a bit nuts and start following a "great leader" who leads them into some big (not necessarily good) change, changes like WWI, WWII, reunification, now the green slime. This is just their time.