• 5 hours Conflicting News Spurs Doubt On Aramco IPO
  • 7 hours Exxon Starts Production At New Refinery In Texas
  • 8 hours Iraq Asks BP To Redevelop Kirkuk Oil Fields
  • 1 day Oil Prices Rise After U.S. API Reports Strong Crude Inventory Draw
  • 1 day Oil Gains Spur Growth In Canada’s Oil Cities
  • 1 day China To Take 5% Of Rosneft’s Output In New Deal
  • 1 day UAE Oil Giant Seeks Partnership For Possible IPO
  • 1 day Planting Trees Could Cut Emissions As Much As Quitting Oil
  • 1 day VW Fails To Secure Critical Commodity For EVs
  • 1 day Enbridge Pipeline Expansion Finally Approved
  • 1 day Iraqi Forces Seize Control Of North Oil Co Fields In Kirkuk
  • 1 day OPEC Oil Deal Compliance Falls To 86%
  • 2 days U.S. Oil Production To Increase in November As Rig Count Falls
  • 2 days Gazprom Neft Unhappy With OPEC-Russia Production Cut Deal
  • 2 days Disputed Venezuelan Vote Could Lead To More Sanctions, Clashes
  • 2 days EU Urges U.S. Congress To Protect Iran Nuclear Deal
  • 2 days Oil Rig Explosion In Louisiana Leaves 7 Injured, 1 Still Missing
  • 2 days Aramco Says No Plans To Shelve IPO
  • 5 days Trump Passes Iran Nuclear Deal Back to Congress
  • 5 days Texas Shutters More Coal-Fired Plants
  • 5 days Oil Trading Firm Expects Unprecedented U.S. Crude Exports
  • 5 days UK’s FCA Met With Aramco Prior To Proposing Listing Rule Change
  • 5 days Chevron Quits Australian Deepwater Oil Exploration
  • 6 days Europe Braces For End Of Iran Nuclear Deal
  • 6 days Renewable Energy Startup Powering Native American Protest Camp
  • 6 days Husky Energy Set To Restart Pipeline
  • 6 days Russia, Morocco Sign String Of Energy And Military Deals
  • 6 days Norway Looks To Cut Some Of Its Generous Tax Breaks For EVs
  • 6 days China Set To Continue Crude Oil Buying Spree, IEA Says
  • 6 days India Needs Help To Boost Oil Production
  • 6 days Shell Buys One Of Europe’s Largest EV Charging Networks
  • 6 days Oil Throwback: BP Is Bringing Back The Amoco Brand
  • 6 days Libyan Oil Output Covers 25% Of 2017 Budget Needs
  • 6 days District Judge Rules Dakota Access Can Continue Operating
  • 7 days Surprise Oil Inventory Build Shocks Markets
  • 7 days France’s Biggest Listed Bank To Stop Funding Shale, Oil Sands Projects
  • 7 days Syria’s Kurds Aim To Control Oil-Rich Areas
  • 7 days Chinese Teapots Create $5B JV To Compete With State Firms
  • 7 days Oil M&A Deals Set To Rise
  • 7 days South Sudan Tightens Oil Industry Security
New Tech Could Turn Seaweed Into Biofuel

New Tech Could Turn Seaweed Into Biofuel

Scientists discovered an unlikely abundant…

New Tech Is Transforming Japan’s Energy Sector

New Tech Is Transforming Japan’s Energy Sector

The tech that built bitcoin…

Erwin Cifuentes

Erwin Cifuentes

Erwin Cifuentes is a Contributing Editor for Southern Pulse Info where he focuses on politics, economics and security issues in Latin America and the Caribbean.…

More Info

Marathon Extracts First Gas from Alba B3 Site

Oil Worker

Marathon Oil Corporation announced a breakthrough at its new Alba B3 offshore compression platform off the coast of Equatorial Guinea.

The Houston-based company is optimistic the gas platform will yield some 130 million barrels of oil equivalent of proved undeveloped reserves. This will more than double Marathon’s remaining proved developed reserve base in the western African country.

“The Alba B3 compression project will allow us to maintain plateau production for the next two years, mitigating base decline, while extending the Alba Field’s life by up to eight years,” said Mitch Little, Vice President–Conventional for Marathon.

Built by Dutch firm Heerema Fabrication Group, the Alba B3 platform was installed last January approximately 32 kilometers off the coast from Malabo, Equatorial Guinea. The site is expected to compress gas from the existing Alba B2 platform via a 33-meter-long bridge connection.

“I want to highlight that the platform was completed on time and within budget, reflecting strong project management and a close collaboration with the operations team in EG. My congratulations go out to our employees and our international and Equatoguinean business partners who made this success possible,” Little added.

According to Marathon’s website, the Alba Field is one of the largest producers of condensate and natural gas in the Gulf of Guinea. Product extracted from that site is sent to an onshore gas plant at Punta Europa for processing into products such as propane and butane.

Marathon’s MEGPL subsidiary holds a majority operating stake in the Alba Field (65 percent) while a division of Noble Energy, Samedan of North Africa, controls the remaining 35 percent.

By Erwin Cifuentes for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage

Leave a comment

Leave a comment

Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News